Mechanical engineering is one of the oldest and most popular branches of engineering. It deals with the design, analysis, manufacturing, and maintenance of various mechanical systems and machines. Mechanical engineers use the principles of physics, mathematics, and engineering to solve problems in different domains such as automobiles, aerospace, robotics, energy, biotechnology, etc.
Mechanical engineering is a versatile and dynamic field that offers a wide range of career opportunities and benefits to the students who pursue it. In this blog, we will talk about the most common mechanical engineering course in India and the various benefits it offers in detail.
B Tech and MTech in Mechanical Engineering
B Tech & M Tech in Mechanical Engineering course degree program that covers the theoretical and practical aspects of mechanical engineering. The program aims to impart the knowledge and skills required to design, develop, test, and maintain mechanical systems and machines.
For more of this mechanical engineering course details, refer to the table below.
|Course Name||B Tech (ME)||Course Name||MTech (ME)|
|Full Form||Bachelor of Technology in Mechanical Engineering||Full Form||Master of Technology in Mechanical Engineering|
|Duration||4 years||Duration||2 Years|
|Mode of Examination||Semester System||Mode of Examination||Semester Mode|
|Eligibility Criteria||50% or more in 10+2 with PCM||Eligibility Criteria||BTech Degree with 55% marks|
|Admission Process||Merit-Based/ Entrance exam based||Admission Process||Merit-Based/ Entrance exam based|
|Common Entrance Exams||JEE, JEE Advanced, MHT CET||Common Entrance Exams||JEE Mains|
|Average Course Fee||INR 3 – 15 LPA||Average Course Fee||INR 5-18 LPA|
|Average Salary||INR 4 – 6 LPA||Average Salary||INR 7-12 LPA|
Eligibility Criteria and Admission Process
The eligibility criteria for B Tech in Mechanical Engineering course are:
- The candidate must have passed a 10+2 or equivalent examination from a recognized board with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as compulsory subjects.
- The candidate must have secured at least 50% marks in aggregate in the above subjects.
- The candidate must have qualified in any entrance exam such as MHT CET, JEE Main, JEE Advanced
- The admission process for the B Tech in Mechanical Engineering course varies from college to college. Some colleges offer admission based on merit or rank obtained in the entrance exam. They may conduct their own entrance test or counselling process. Some colleges also offer lateral entry admission for diploma holders or BSc (Bachelor of Science) graduates in relevant fields.
The syllabus for B Tech in Mechanical Engineering course usually covers subjects such as these:
|Engineering Mathematics||Engineering Physics|
|Engineering Chemistry||Engineering Drawing|
|Computer Programming||Electrical and Electronics Engineering|
|Strength of Materials||Machine Design|
|Manufacturing Technology||Heat Transfer|
|Refrigeration and Air Conditioning||Industrial Engineering|
|Finite Element Analysis||Computational Fluid Dynamics|
The course also includes electives, projects, seminars, industrial visits, internships, etc.
Fees and Top Colleges
The fees for B Tech in Mechanical Engineering course range from INR 50,000 to INR 15 lakh depending on the college and its facilities.
Some of the top colleges offering B Tech in Mechanical Engineering in India are:
|College Name||Location||Average Fees|
|IIT Madras||Chennai||INR 8.6 lakh|
|IIT Delhi||Delhi||INR 8.8 lakh|
|IIT Bombay||Mumbai||INR 8.5 lakh|
|IIT Kanpur||Kanpur||INR 8.4 lakh|
|IIT Roorkee||Roorkee||INR 10.5 lakh|
|Terna College of Engineering||Osmanabad||INR 3 lakh|
Career Prospects for B Tech in Mechanical Engineering
Graduates of the B Tech in Mechanical Engineering course have a plethora of career options to choose from. They can work as design engineers, mechanical engineers, project managers, service engineers, consultants, instructional designers, mechanical designers etc. Or, they can also opt for higher studies such as;
- M Tech in Mechanical Engineering
- ME in Mechanical Engineering
- Or related fields or even a PhD after that.
Some of the top recruiters who offer placements in Mechanical Engineering roles to graduates of Terna College of Engineering Osmanabad are:
- Tata Motors
- Reliance Industries
- GE Global Research
- Indian Oil
- Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd
- Larsen and Toubro Ltd
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited & more
Benefits of a Mechanical Engineering Course
Some of the benefits of mechanical engineering programs like B Tech from Terna College of Engineering are that is:
- Provides a strong foundation in core engineering subjects such as mechanics, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, materials science, etc.
- One of the advantages of studying mechanical engineering is that it develops the skills of creativity, innovation, problem-solving, teamwork, communication, and project management in the students.
- Exposes the students to various practical applications and hands-on learning through labs, workshops, projects, internships, etc.
- Opens up many avenues for higher studies and research in various specialized areas such as nanotechnology, biomechanics, renewable energy, etc.
- Offers a high demand and scope after B Tech in Mechanical Engineering in the industry and academia both in India and abroad.
- Mechanical engineers can work in various sectors such as manufacturing, automotive, aerospace, defence, energy, construction, etc.
- Offers a lucrative salary and growth prospects for graduates. According to PayScale.com, the average salary for a mechanical engineer in India is INR 3.6 lakh per year.
Mechanical engineering is a rewarding and challenging field that offers many benefits to the students who pursue it. It is a branch that combines creativity with technical skills to create solutions for various problems. Graduates of even a basic undergraduate mechanical engineering course like a B Tech in ME have a high demand and scope in the industry and academia both in India and abroad. There is no doubt that this branch of engineering can lead to many exciting and fulfilling career options after Mechanical Engineering in various sectors.
- What are the benefits of studying mechanical engineering?
There are many benefits of studying mechanical engineering which include a high demand and salary, increased professional skill and knowledge in a subfield of mechanical engineering of your choice, plenty of kinds of job opportunities, and much more.
- What is the scope of mechanical engineering?
Mechanical engineering offers scope for immense future growth in career and higher study opportunities. Engineers often go on to become entrepreneurs with their own products and some even make money from patents if they go into research.
- Is mechanical is a good career?
Yes, mechanical engineering is an extremely good career path as it offers high-paying jobs from the get-go both in India and abroad.
- How successful is mechanical engineering career?
Mechanical engineering careers can be generally considered very successful as mechanical engineers make about INR 3.6 Lakhs per annum in India, which can increase quite a bit as they gain more experience.